Fault code P2154 is called “Fuel Injector Group “C” Supply Voltage Circuit High” but in different programs it may be called differently. This fault designation applies to all vehicles equipped with OBD-II.
Technical description and explained code P2154
This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code. Error P2154 is considered a general code because it applies to all makes and models of vehicles. Although the specific repair steps may vary slightly from model to model.
Fuel systems use a variety of components to control and monitor volume, timing, pressure, etc. Fuel injectors were introduced as a replacement for the carburetor because they are more efficient and effective in controlling the fuel supply.
Fuel injectors improve fuel economy due to improved spray efficiency.
Given the fact that injector atomization is controlled electronically, the supply voltage is critical to the delivery of fuel to the cylinders. A malfunction in this circuit can cause significant drivability problems, as well as other potential hazards.
The “C” injector group in this code is used to determine which circuit the malfunction pertains to. It is worth referring to your specific vehicle’s technical manual for more information.
When the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a high signal level in the “C” voltage circuit supplying the fuel injectors. Fault code P2154 will be written to memory and an error message will appear on the control panel.
Symptoms of vehicle malfunctions
The main signal that an error P2154 has occurred is the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is also known as the CheckEngine Light.
It can also be warning signs such as:
- Check engine control lamp on the control panel will light up (the code will be recorded in the memory as a malfunction).
- Unstable engine operation.
- The engine cannot be accelerated, the throttle response is unresponsive.
- Poor acceleration.
- The engine cuts out or fails to start.
- Floating revolutions, as well as attempts to stall at idle.
- Increased engine noise, may also present a ringing and rattling.
- Ignition skips in the engine cylinders may occur. Also, the car’s engine may run erratically.
- Decrease in engine power.
- Increased fuel consumption.
The error P2154 is serious, as its occurrence may cause problems with the engine and vehicle handling. It is recommended to correct it as soon as possible to avoid serious damage to the engine or other components.
Factors that can cause this error code
The error code P2154 can mean that one or more of the following problems have occurred:
- Failure of one or more fuel injectors.
- Breakage or short circuit of electrical wires related to group “C” fuel injectors.
- Bad electrical connection in the connector of group “C” injectors circuit.
- Engine control module (ECM) may be defective.
How to fix or reset OBD-2 code P2154
Some suggested steps for troubleshooting and fix the error code P2154:
- Read all stored data and error codes with an OBD-II scan tool.
- Clear the error codes and test drive the vehicle to see if code P2154 appears again.
- If the code appears, visually inspect the electrical wires and connectors related to Group “C” fuel injectors.
- Check the operation of group “C” fuel injectors.
- Measure voltage in injectors supply circuit, replace faulty injectors if necessary.
- If no problems are found, check and replace the engine control module (ECM) if necessary.
Diagnose and repair of problems
It’s a good idea to first look up the technical service bulletins (TSB) for your specific make of car with error P2154. If the problem is already described, following the instructions can save you time and money in diagnosing and correcting the problem.
Visually inspect all wiring and connectors leading to Group C fuel injectors. Look carefully for abrasions, bare wires, or breaks. Also look for melted or otherwise damaged areas. Repair if necessary.
Sometimes water or fluids can stagnate in the nozzle seating areas. This increases the chance that the sensor connectors, as well as other electrical connections, will become corroded.
Disconnect the supply voltage circuit from the ECM and the fuel injector, then use a multimeter to determine if the wires are in working order. Eliminate any problems present in order to correct error P2154.
On which vehicles does this problem occur most frequently
Fault code P2154 can occur on different vehicles but there are statistics on which brands this occurs most often. Here is a list of some of them:
- Alfa Romeo
- Dodge (RAM)
- Mercedes-Benz (Sprinter)
Fault code P2154 can sometimes be found with other errors. The most common are the following: P2149, P2150, P2151, P2152, P2153.